Friday, January 23, 2009

How off beat are you?

I like to throw spanners. Metaphorical spanners of course... I'm not too sure what an actual spanner actually looks like.

But I digress.

I'm not to into the 'traditionality' of anything. It's a wonder that I stayed in res as long as I did. (My res was really just a sorority with a different name and more booze. And more traditions. and more booze)

This has been a bit of a heater when it comes to the wedding. Well meaning familiy members are concerned about the untraditional elements in my wedding and the strangeness that is me. All I have to say to them is "merr". Which is not an acronym for anything but rather a sound emitted by the non-caring.

I go to church and have piercings and a tattoo. You would probably guess this, so it probably won't come as a surprise, but I have been told no less than 3 times in the last few months that I may or may not be going to Hell for 'disgracing' my temple. Merrr.

All in all, I have elements of myself that do not fit into the classic labels that I have either adopted or been forced into.

But what I am not into is the contest to show off how off beat (weird?!) I am. Not into this. My little bro is big into labels. He's 17. Who can blame him?

This irritates me to no end. If I hear about how 'jock' something is. Or how 'emo' or how freakin' 'preppy' something is, I may or may not rip out my gullet and slap him with it.

My conversations are usually:

Me: What are your opinions of the guy across the street?

Yoshi: He's such a jock I totally hate him.

Me: And his sister?

Yoshi: Ah she's ok.

Me: Why is she ok and not her brother?

Yoshi: *looks at me like my brain is dripping from my ears* because she's metal.

It's fantastic that he says this. Because then I get images of metal people.



I full-on don't understand why you would want to put yourself into a certain label. Every person I have met is more complex than any label.

So I am asking you, (if you are still reading this) what labels have you adopted? Why have you adopted them and why you don't actually fit into this label?

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hmmm. I like this post. I have to be in agreement with you, that it is indeed strange the labels put on people nowadays. Or the ones we place upon ourselves.

My family would dub me the beat of "goodie toshoos". Because I do not live the harder life style as they do..drinking every day, experimenting with drugs, ect. I have tattoo's, had a piercing (Took it out though I since my youngest always grabbed at it).. I feel that I'm responsible and respectful to myself, I don't think that makes me a goodie, just that I don't choose their life style. And respect myself.

ScoMan said...

I have been labelled many things over the years. Geek is probably the one that keeps coming up.

But hey, I'm the kind of geek the little geeklings want to be like, so it's all good.

Anonymous said...

I think labels help us "get" people. You know? We understand labels. And I think it freaks people out when you don't stick to the guidelines that a certain label has.

I don't think I fit into any one thing, and I wouldn't take any one label onto myself and say "This is what I am" but it does help me sometimes to know that I fit in somewhere. And THAT is a biggie I think. Fitting in and being accepted.

I could go on about this but you know what I mean. :)

Caitlin said...

That was fantastic.

The only label I consistently get is "Well...you're just a theater kid." Really, though, I'm a little bit of everything that I like. And I think that's okay.

Janine / Being Brazen said...

I only "label" people i dont know. People i do know I wouldnt label, because labels are so unoriginal...and most people are unique snowflakes when you get to know them

...I dont like labels.

InkyFingers said...

I've had many labels over my life. Starting with "baby boomer." But as the years have gone one they keep changing the generations that belong in that group. It was originally intended for those babies conceived when their fathers were coming home from WWII. 20 years ago I was considered the last year of the baby boomers, now it's pretty undefined. Wikipedia even says that baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values.

When I was a childbirth doula and director of a support group for single moms, my label was "the babylady." I kind of liked that one.

At the current time, managing a community of 98 families, collecting their rents and making some of them clean up their yards and act like human beings I have gained a new label, one which I can't repeat here but it's something like a witch.

But the label which I really enjoy and the one I am the most proud of is "mamm-ma" (i've never known quite how to spell it)and it was a beautiful little girl with curly hair and an outstanding smile who is now getting ready to start her own family.

Random Hiccups said...

Ah Grandma! Love you!

Modelmental said...

Love this post, actually loving all your posts, you're funny and unpretentious and I like it!

I've reluctantly adopted the label housewife. Purely because I've earned very little money in my 'chosen' freelance profession since I got engaged, and I don't think 'blogger' counts as a profession so I feel like a big fat housewife. It sucks.