Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Naked Truth




Prompted by Hillbilly's contest I have been thinking a lot about my expression of truth.

It really baffled me. How do I express truth? When has truth been best expressed to me? What is truth? How do I know that it is true? And worst of all how the heck am I going to communicate this to a gaggle of strangers?

And so I thought. A lot. And I worked out clearly what I know truth is NOT.

I really don't buy into relativism. The thought that truth is transient doesn't fit well with me. I am transient. I am fleeting. My mortality encourages my search for truth that is steadfast, unwavering, and strong.

My closest experience to Truth was when I was taking a picnic in the Pilansburg Mountains. I wandered off by myself exploring and found a spot on a gigantic rock overlooking a scene much like this one.

I looked out. The wind picked up and threatened to throw me over. The jutting dead trees littering the ground deep below me offered little comfort. For a brief moment,vertigo gripped me fiercely.

I panicked.

I was going to fall.

In my panic I looked to my feet. They were firmly planted. The rock had been my support and I was, in fact, in no danger. I sat there for a while because, despite being on a cliff overlooking a kilometer plummet, I was completely secure. I was not going to fall.

Truth to me has inherent religious connotations. I have no shame in saying I put my trust and my hope in Jesus Christ. This is rock solid. This is stable. This has found me completely secure in my situation. Much like how I felt on that rock in the Pilansburg, despite the immediate danger I am facing, I am safe. The truth is that when the wind dies down and the sun beats upon my face once again, my feet will remain firmly planted in truth and I will not fall.

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

My hubby had mentioned to me that I picked one heck of a subject for people to write about. That I would leave people stumped. He said if I do this again, that perhaps I should keep it simple, if I wanted more comments.

However, I have enjoyed emensly the comments that I have gotten, and what people wrote.

So, thank you. Your entry was very very good.

Random Hiccups said...

That was one heck of a subject! But it was glorious fun!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog to congratulate me! That top picture is pretty amazing! Keep up the great writing!

Grand Pooba said...

Very insightful! In some ways I think truth is relative but for those who have found their own, it can be an anchor.

Anonymous said...

Good points. I think that it's the finding your rock and trusting in it that's important, not so much what your rock is.

Random Hiccups said...

I think both you guys make some interesting points. Since I am generally a black and white person with little grey, I would be very interested in how both of you express truth. Plus Hillbilly's contest ends soon! Why don't you give it a shot? :)

Thanks for your input!

Anonymous said...

That is a hard question, and I think you answered it beautifully.

Random Hiccups said...

Thanks Sleepyjane. I would love to hear what you have to say about YOUR expression of truth.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

I enjoyed writing mine too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning!

Anonymous said...

You're a winner! Good job!