Thursday, November 20, 2008

University has brainwashed me into thinking Trains lead to death.

I am what I call an independent thinker. Or at least I like to think I am. To my parents great dismay I am not a Republican. To societies great dismay I am not a Democrat. I am the great Fence-sitter of philosophical matters.

We were presented with this situation. I would like to hear what you would do. Because I am fence sitting.

Remember it’s my world. So what I say goes ok?

Ok. There is a train travelling at full speed with 10 people on board. The train is heading straight for a brick wall and at impact all 10 people will die.

However, you are capable of changing the path of the train. You can change it to travel down the other path where it will run over just one person. Do you change the path?

Most people in the discussion said an emphatic yes.

But then what if that one person was carrying the cure for cancer or AIDS, would you still change the path?

Most people said an emphatic no.

Then the question was posed, what if that person that would be run over was your child and the person carrying the AIDS cure was on the train... Would you change the path?

I am evidently not a very caring person. I would not change the path regardless. How can one life be any less important that then lives of 10? I am too irresponsible. By taking action I am responsible for the consequences and there is no way I would want to be responsible for the death of someone. The other 10 shouldn’t gotten on a train heading for disaster. But see, it’s irresponsible. And I can talk this in circles for hours ... because no thanks. I will be avoiding trains for a while. A long while.

I just can’t handle this no-answer-makes-you-look-like-a-nice-person situation...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that really is a hard question. I wouldn't stop the train I think.

ScoMan said...

I wouldn't change the path.

I try to keep from impacting the lives of others. Their decisions lead to their consequences, or perhaps it is fate that has lead them there, either way, I don't feel it is my duty to interfere.

Anonymous said...

Like you, I could mentally circle that one for hours! Can I just make is simple and save everyone else by throwing myself under the train?

Kimberly said...

UGH! Really? I too, can circle this one for hours on end, trying to figure out a solution to which would save everyone. However, I think that if you got on a train bound for disaster, then perhaps it was your time to go. Thinking of it that way, anyway.

Having a choice, I don't know, I dont' think I could answer that one unless I were there at that moment. I'm afraid though, that if I were on that train, being one of the ten people, instincts may take over. Save yourself. Your inner strength would almost force you to do so, causing you to change the path.

But, then again... Good one. Way to make me think before I'm finished with my coffee this morning. Thanks, now I'll be thinking all day... =P

InkyFingers said...

Instincts would definately take over. You wouldn't have time to think about the one person because your mind would be racing in all directions trying to save the others and yourself.